Wildlife Rescue Association is seeking an energetic, highly organized, and multi-talented Volunteer Co-ordinator for an initial 6-month contract. The co-ordinator plays a pivotal role in Canada’s busiest wildlife rehabilitation centre as we have a comprehensive volunteer program that includes over 150 active volunteers. Vision, leadership, integrity, and taking initiative to make Wildlife Rescue’s volunteer program even more effective are essential to this role.
Wildlife Rescue’s recruitment cycle includes recruitment of seasonal and special project volunteers, interns, high school work experience participants, Animal Health Technology and international volunteers. Both on- and off-site volunteers are managed through an online system. Volunteer activities include, but are not limited to animal care, transport, education, gardening, helpline, maintenance and special projects. All volunteers go through a basic orientation as well as specialized training for the area in which they work.
The Volunteer Co-ordinator is responsible for the recruitment, screening, scheduling, support, and retention of qualified volunteers, some with highly specialized skills and technical background.
Primary responsibilities include:
• developing strong, regular and personal relationships with all active volunteers;
• recruiting new volunteers, including planning and delivering orientation workshops;
• processing all applications in a timely and highly-organised manner;
• scheduling volunteers who working in the Wildlife Hospital;
• providing regular updates to volunteers on Wildlife Rescue’s activities;
• organizing volunteer help at events and conferences;
• reviewing and updating volunteer policy and training documents;
• producing contract and reference letters for new and leaving volunteers;
• representing the interests of volunteers in staff meetings where no volunteer is present;
• participating in project team meetings;
• liaising with international volunteer organizations and organizations seeking volunteer experiences;
• organizing volunteer appreciation events and other recognition pieces.
Essential Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
• experience managing a volunteer program or large team of people;
• exceptional time and task management skills;
• high EQ and personal authority to motivate volunteers to perform to a professional standard
• ability to coach and resolve conflict in a positive manner;
• very strong verbal and written communications;
• comfortable and experienced in developing and delivering training sessions and manuals;
• strong IT skills;
• the ability to work in a collaborative, pro-active environment with a high degree of autonomy and accountability;
• the ability to work with a diverse group of people with a wide variety of skills, experiences, and expectations;
• willingness to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends;
• ability to thrive in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
Our ideal candidate will also have:
• experience with large-scale seasonal recruitment drives;
• membership of the AVRBC;
• experience with online training platforms;
• CVA designation;
• Knowledge of wildlife rehabilitation and/or the veterinary industry;
• experience working in a non-profit organisation;
• personal volunteering experience;
• a keen interest in wildlife and nature.
Wildlife Rescue Association offers an employee benefit package and professional development support. Only applicants who are invited for an interview will be contacted. Please send a resume and cover letter in a single pdf file to email@example.com.